Fundraising is one of the most important elements of Bike MS. Remember each cyclist is required to raise at least $200. The majority of cyclists go above and beyond the fundraising minimum. All donations to the National MS Society are tax-deductible.
Fundraising is as easy as 1, 2, 3... Follow these simple steps:
Step #1: Know your networks
Make a list of every person you know — the obvious (friends and family) and the not-so obvious (neighbors, acquaintances, business associates, team members, alumni associates, etc.). You have just created your donor list. Need extra help? Use the Know Your Networks worksheet (pdf) included in your fundraising kit.
Step #2: Set your fundraising goal
Now that you know your networks, set your goal. The Bike MS NYC fundraising minimum is $200, but based on your networks can you achieve Top Fundraiser status at $1,000? Keep in mind that you will want an attainable goal and there is always an opportunity to adjust your goal throughout the Bike MS NYC season. Once you’ve settled on your goal, make sure log into your account and update it.
Step #3: Share your commitment & make a plan
You have created your donor list and set your goal; next comes what many people think is the hardest part of fundraising, the ASK. Tell everyone what you are doing — the excitement is contagious and your story will inspire others. Articulate why you are taking on Bike MS NYC. Your commitment will be the reason they choose to give you a donation.
Important Fundraising Dates:
- June 20 - June 22: Weekend Fundraising Challenge #1
- July 25 - July 27: Weekend Fundraising Challenge #2
- August 26: Early Incentive Deadline
- September 15 - September 19: Bike MS NYC Fundraising Week
- September 19: Deadline to reach $200 fundraising minimum and recieve your materials by mail
- September 19: Deadline to reach Top Fundraiser status and recieve your riding jersey by mail
- November 7: Fundraising and Ranking Deadline